- Research Areas
- Graduate Program in Neuroscience
- Lab safety and operations
- Dynamic Brain Circuits and Connections in Health and Disease
- Core facilities
- News & Events
- Brain Matters Newsletter
- Neuroscience Research Colloquia
Jun 5, 2019
Jun 2-6, 2019
Vancouver Convention Centre East, 999 Canada Place, Vancouver
Dr. Lakshmi Yatham and Dr. Raymond Lam
The theme of the congress is “Neuroscience Discoveries and Translation to Clinical Practice.”
The congress will be structured to include a neuroscience discovery track and a clinical track. Within each track, plenaries, round table debates, workshops, symposia and short oral presentation sessions will address cutting edge topics.
The deadline for Symposia & Workshop abstract submission is May 4, 2018. Presenters in the symposia get 50% discount on registration fees.
For more information, visit www.wfsbp-congress.org.
Wednesdays, Sep 5, 2018-Aug 14, 2019
Auditorium, Cordula and Gunter Paetzold Health Education Centre, Main Floor, Jim Pattison Pavilion, Vancouver General Hospital
1:00pm-2:00pm, Jun 5, 2019
Rudy North Lecture Theatre, Lower Level, Djavad Mowafaghian Centre for Brain Health
Dr. Sam Weiss
DMCBH is pleased to host Dr. Samuel Weiss, Scientific Director, CIHR Institute of Neurosciences, Mental Health and Addiction (INMHA), who will speak about INMHA’s developing strategic plan, CIHR funding opportunities, and how the institute is engaging the neuroscience community in a dialogue about brain and mental health research in Canada.
Title: Strategic Initiatives in Support of Canadian Brain and Mental Health Research
- Reichwald Health Science, UBC Okanagan: RHS 257 LT
- University of Northern British Columbia: NHSC 9-235 LT
- Medical Science Building, University of Victoria: MSB 210
How to attend remotely:
- Note: Connect with a laptop or desktop computer. Do not connect by cell phone or tablet. Encourage online users to conduct a test call prior to your event.
- Web Browser: In Chrome browser, go to http://meet.vc.ubc.ca and enter the 5-digit ID. For troubleshooting, and instructions on how to make a Test Call, see the Web Browser User Guide.
- UBC Skype for Business (account holders only): In the Contact box, enter <5-digit ID>@vc.ubc.ca to join the meeting. Refer to the Skype for Business website. To conduct a test connection enter email@example.com in the Contact box.
- Telephone (Audio-bridge): Dial toll-free phone number, 1-844-521-0666, followed by the 5-digit ID, followed by #
- MedIT Service Desk: For remote technical assistance during the session, please call 1-877-266-0666 (Mon-Fri, 7:00 AM – 5:00PM).
Dr. Weiss Bio:
Dr. Samuel Weiss is a professor at the University of Calgary’s Cumming School of Medicine. He is the founder and was the inaugural Director of the University of Calgary’s Hotchkiss Brain Institute, whose mission is to translate innovative research and education into advances in neurological and mental health care.
Dr. Weiss’ own explorations into the brain have changed the fields of developmental neurobiology and neural regeneration and have earned him one of the world’s most prestigious medical science awards, a Gairdner International Award. Dr. Weiss was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada in 2009 and a Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences in 2014. His current work focusses on the stem cell biology of human brain tumour with an eye towards developing new therapies.
In July 2017, Dr. Weiss was appointed to a four-year term as Scientific Director of the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Institute of Neurosciences, Mental Health and Addiction (INMHA) and member of CIHR’s Science Council.
As the Scientific Director, Dr. Weiss works with the Canadian neurosciences, mental health and addiction communities to identify research priorities, develop research funding opportunities, build partnerships and translate research evidence into policy and practice to improve the health of Canadians and people around the world.